Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Small crit for Sam


Sam, your stuff looks tight! That modeling is super solid. Great detailing, too. You should watch out for even spacing, though. It's generally considered a design flaw. Here's where it was most obvious to me.

The basic idea is that if your spacing is even, the eye has a harder time moving across the form, since each "even segment" seems to be of equal importance. So, what I've done is adjust the ring spacing so they lead the eye up the pole to the symbol up top.

So what is your story? Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see more!

2 comments:

  1. thanks JJ! I will def look out for that

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Sam's defense the spires on every pagoda I've ever seen have evenly spaced rings...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aliaaaaa/2328456367/

    http://pt.dreamstime.com/pagoda-spire--imagefree96516

    I don't know for sure, but I would guess repetitious circles in eastern architecture have a symbolic significance (cycles of life, death, birth and reincarnation?... pointing toward heaven at that!)...

    ReplyDelete